When we ask, “Can we bring something to the party?” How many times have we been told, “Sure! Do you want to bring a salad?”
While a boring salad might not be as exciting for you in the preparation department, this recipe is nothing short of totally delicious. If there was ever such a thing as a salad showstopper, this recipe is it. Cross my heart.
Kale and Roasted Brussels Sprout Salad
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
1 big bag kale, stemmed and chopped
1 fennel bulb, sliced
4 chicken thighs (optional), cubed
1 Cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
1/2 C Fig Butter
1/4 C Olive oil
1/4 C Red Wine Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Chop brussels sprouts in to quarters. Line a baking sheet. Toss brussels sprouts with some olive oil, salt, and pepper on the baking sheet.
2. Bake the brussels sprouts for 30 min, or until the tops of the brussels sprouts begin to turn golden brown. Remove the brussels sprouts from the oven and let them cool.
3. Grill/bake/pan sear 4 chicken thighs to your liking (optional). I love to brine the chicken in salt water for 20 minutes before cooking them with salt + pepper, lemon/lemon zest, and any spices that are staring at me in the cabinet. 😂 Once the chicken is cooked, let it cool on a cutting board for a couple minutes before chopping it into cubes.
3. Dump the kale in a big salad bowl and massage it down using your hands with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and a big pinch of salt. The kale will become a softer texture in about 30 seconds – 1 minute of massaging.
3. Add in the fennel and 1/4 Cup red wine vinegar. Stir.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the brussels sprouts with fig butter. My favorite fig butter is from Trader Joe’s (it’s allergy-free). Mix in the fig butter to cover all of the Brussels sprouts.
5. Mix the brussels sprouts and chicken into the big salad bowl with the kale and fennel. Crack some fresh pepper and sprinkle a pinch of salt over the top of the salad. Stir. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese.
*My measurements are loose, so please adapt to your liking.